I finally finished the pouch for my new Kindle and just in time for a trip! I think this will work well. It’s protection for the Kindle so I don’t feel like it’s going to slide out of my hands when I pick it up and also will be fine and not too bulky when I slip it into my purse. It has a bit of character where I pieced in the squares and the lining inside is fabric with cute little chairs on it. Also turquoise. It’s fun, somewhat modern and I think will meet my needs perfectly. This was a good finish.
I’ve spent some time this weekend sewing quilt blocks together. It’s been an interesting experience. I consider myself a fairly accomplished seamstress but this is another learning curve. Precision is so much more important here. Precision in cutting, sewing and 1/4 inch seams. If any of those are out of alignment, you’re blocks might not line up squarely and I’ve learned that does matter to me. I didn’t realize that I’m fussy about that and I want it perfect! There are someblocks that I tried to unstitch and resew and it hasn’t turned out much better so I’ve decided just to leave some of that and each one is getting better. At least as far as the seaming goes. The cutting is also fairly accurate because of the rotary cutter but I think when I cut multiples of some of the blocks, I was not as accurate lining the strips up and therein lies the problem. Lesson learned for next time and I will do this in a slightly different manner. To many this would not be a big deal but for me it’s a good challenge. They are cute though and I think I’m going to like the end result.
I’ve not spent as much time sewing today as I thought I might but I have pulled a few weeds, been to the fabric store for more white sashing fabric, washed and dried the fabric and started sewing the strips together. I hope to have them all sewn and start cutting before I have to quit for dinner. For now, here is a pictorial update.
Oh it’s been a fun day. I’ve decided I was going to start a quilt for me. I’m still thinking about the layer cake I bought but haven’t found a pattern yet that I want to use so that’s sitting. I do have a set of the new Denyse Schmidt fabric that Joann’s is carrying however and I’m cutting into that. I’ve never bought so many pieces from all one line before so it’s been interesting. Thank goodness it’s been on sale and I don’t need much from each bolt. I’m using a Moda Bakeshop pattern called Hugs and Kisses from the Park. I am going to make it bigger however and I’m not using a jelly roll which is pre-cut fabric for those of you that don’t know what that is. I think I’ve figured out how much I need but it will be interesting to see if my calculations are correct. I do believe that I’m going to run out of white sashing fabric which will require another run to the store but I should have enough here to start. I always wash my fabric too before I start. I know that many quilters today don’t wash the fabric but I’m always a bit leery of colors running and uneven shrinkage so I just feel better if I have pre-washed. That however does require some touch up with the iron and I decided as long as I was pressing I should also add a bit of starch. Whew… that took some time. Now I’m almost done cutting the strips. I know a jelly roll would have been faster but this way I will have some extra fabric left to play with also. I didn’t think to take a picture when it was daylight so for now I’m just going to post this with a picture of the gray and yellow quilt top I started a few weeks ago. I think I might finish that one soon too. More tomorrow with the work in progress.
Daughter number 1 is now a year older. It’s been fun to sew a few new things for her this year. I don’t think I’ve ever made her an apron so she got her own apron. She is a coffee lover so this is made with coffee cup fabric and coffee beans. Also some giant ric rac. It makes me laugh to see how popular the use of ric rac has become. When I first started to sew in the 60’s and 70’s it was popular and then it became unpopular because it made things look so”homemade.” Now it’s popular and makes things look “hand crafted”. Hmm..
I also made this little purse with a zip pouch inside. I made a strap to attach it to and also used a magnetic fastener. That was fun and easy to do but I will do it a bit differently next time. She loved the fabric and size however so that was a success.
Last year I made a barrel bag from some embroidered denim. She has used it almost every day and said she would like another. I made this one from ultra suede and did a zip pouch and key fob. It will be interesting to see how it holds but it is interesting fabric and she again seemed pleased. Happy Birthday Daughter!