Almost

Well, I finished pouch number 1.  Now I’m on to number 2.  A little bit wider and a little bit longer.  Apparently I miscalculated a bit in the depth and the width when I added the zipper and it’s just a bit too small.  It did turn out very cute however and I have a new home waiting for this little cutie.  Stay tuned for round 2.

Quilt blocks

I’ve spent some time this weekend sewing quilt blocks together.  It’s been an interesting experience.  I consider myself a fairly accomplished seamstress but this is another learning curve.  Precision is so much more important here.  Precision in cutting, sewing and 1/4 inch seams.  If any of those are out of alignment, you’re blocks might not line up squarely and I’ve learned that does matter to me.  I didn’t realize that I’m fussy about that and I want it perfect! There are someblocks  that I tried to unstitch and resew and it hasn’t turned out much better so I’ve decided just to leave some of that and each one is getting better.  At least as far as the seaming goes.  The cutting is also fairly accurate because of the rotary cutter but I think when I cut multiples of some of the blocks, I was not as accurate lining the strips up and therein lies the problem.  Lesson learned for next time and I will do this in a slightly different manner.  To many this would not be a big deal but for me it’s a good challenge.  They are cute though and I think I’m going to like the end result.

And the fun continues

I’ve not spent as much time sewing today as I thought I might but I have pulled a few weeds, been to the fabric store for more white sashing fabric, washed and dried the fabric and started sewing the strips together.  I hope to have them all sewn and start cutting before I have to quit for dinner.  For now, here is a pictorial update.

New project

Oh it’s been a fun day.  I’ve decided I was going to start a quilt for me.  I’m still thinking about the layer cake I bought but haven’t found a pattern yet that I want to use so that’s sitting.  I do have a set of the new Denyse Schmidt fabric that Joann’s is carrying however and I’m cutting into that.  I’ve never bought so many pieces from all one line before so it’s been interesting. Thank goodness it’s been on sale and I don’t need much from each bolt. I’m using a Moda Bakeshop pattern called Hugs and Kisses from the Park.  I am going to make it bigger however and I’m not using a jelly roll which is pre-cut fabric for those of you that don’t know what that is. I think I’ve figured out how much I need but it will be  interesting to see if my calculations are correct. I do believe that I’m going to run out of white sashing fabric which will require another run to the store but I should have enough here to start.  I always wash my fabric too before I start.  I know that many quilters today don’t wash the fabric but I’m always a bit leery of colors running and uneven shrinkage so I just feel better if I have pre-washed.  That however does require some touch up with the iron and I decided as long as I was pressing I should also add a bit of starch.  Whew… that took some time. Now I’m almost done cutting the strips. I know a jelly roll would have been faster but this way I will have some extra fabric left to play with also.  I didn’t think to take a picture when it was daylight so for now I’m just going to post this with a picture of the gray and yellow quilt top I started a few weeks ago.  I think I  might finish that one soon too. More tomorrow with the work in progress.