Zip Pouch Finish

The zip pouch finish was a day to celebrate.  I got them all done and was very pleased. Pleased that not only were they all finished and three weeks before I needed them but also that they looked good.  What a relief.  From the box I laid them all on the counter so I could get a good picture and then we packaged them up in groups so they were ready to hand out as thank you gifts.  People were surprised and pleased I think to get a hand-made gift that really reflected the Girl Scout theme.  Thanks to the Robert Kaufman Company we were able to commemorate the 100 years of Girl Scouting celebration in a very visual way. The zip pouches were finished!

box of zip pouches and laynards

zippers first

 

Baby baby..

Baby baby, here’s the next quilt.  I love how soft this one feels after it’s come out of the dryer.  I used my tumbler die and cut them from a bundle of fat quarters that I bought at Joann’s.  I actually bought two stacks when they were on sale with the intent to make a baby quilt.  I actually like the way it turned out although I keep wondering if the red is too “in your face”. Maybe I should have used 2 different bundles so there was more contrast.  It’s hard to know.  I also found yardage of one of the prints at Hancock’s and decided on that for the backing and bias border.  I’m really glad that I made that choice.  It looks good on the back.  The border has all the colors in the quilt top and really pulls it all together.

At the end of the day this was a success.  I’m going to try this again with some gender neutral fabrics and see how it looks.  The size is perfect for a baby quilt. Either on the floor, in a crib or a car seat.  Neither too big or too small.

Cleaning up

Today I’ve decided that it’s time to start cleaning up the mess. There are piles and boxes of fabric all over the place and it’s starting to bother me. I still have some other work should do but soon this will be done and I can start organizing and doing some spring cleaning. My biggest challenge is logistics.  What is the best way to stack the fabric and store the supplies so that I can get to them easily.  I would like to have the fabric visible.  Right now it’s in several different boxes and stacks and I can’t always easily find the piece I’m looking for.  The other problem is forgetting what I have and accumulating more. In this year of intention I’m trying to use what I have before I buy anything else.  I’ve been thinking about this for several months and today I realized I have a possible solution.  I can move an unused desk that is now covered with clutter.  In the space where the desk is I can move in some shelves from the garage. This set of shelves is of the wire variety and is on wheels.  It has four shelves that will be perfect for my needs.  I can keep the large pieces of batting and fleece on either the bottom or the top, stack some clear boxes of works in progress on a shelf and still have room to create stacks of fabrics.  These pieces are all less than one yard and when stacked don’t take up much room.  I think I’ll sell the desk that’s in the corner although it may get moved to the garage for storage until I know that it really is an extra that I don’t need. Time to stop thinking and start cleaning up!
wire shelves

Baby bibs

I haven’t had too much time to sew this last week because I was out of town.  The band did a fabulous job but did not win.  It was fun to see a few snippets of them on the Billboard Music awards last night however.  They did show a montage of the bands and their road trips so Hotels was there.  Very cool.

This week the sewing has been baby bibs.  I had lots of fun doing these. They were quick and easy.  I know there are lots of free patterns out and previously I just copied a pattern that I had here  but I actually used McCalls 6108. It was fast and easy and the proportions were perfect. I used some fun fabric and lined them with terry and the Mom was pleased.  Here are the little girl versions and I’ll post the little boy versions a bit later today.